Maclaren Warner

Care Home Fees

Many people are concerned about the possibility of their home having to be sold to pay for residential care home fees and want to know if this can be avoided.

The need to enter a Nursing or Residential Care home often comes when we least expect it and it will be a difficult time for the person involved and their family. Added to this is the difficulty of navigating the local authority rules for payment of fees for residential care and the means testing involved.

Contrary to popular belief, it is not always the case that your house will be taken into account when assessing you for care fees, for example, if your spouse or certain other dependent relatives live in the house with you.

However, in some cases the value of your house may be taken into account in local authority means testing.

If you are faced with this situation it is likely that you will have questions about how to protect your home from potential care fee liability. I can offer advice on planning your estate in the most effective way possible as well as the possible implications of transferring property out of your name.

I will advise you as to the suitability of this type of actiocontact usn to your circumstances and also the potential risks involved.

This is a complex area and specialist advice should always be sought. Here at Maclaren Warner solicitors we are experts in estate planning and can offer you advice on the most effective and tax efficient methods of arranging your property and finances. Contact us for more information.

Contact Us

Telephone numbers:

Stapleford 0115 939 5252
Ilkeston 0115 930 4994
Eastwood 01773 713 846

Email addresses:
(Click name to email).